Homeowners, no matter how old or new their homes might be, have one thing in common when it comes to their roofs: keeping them intact and in good repair is a high priority. If you’ve ever experienced a leaky roof, or if you’ve had to have serious damage taken care of, you know how little you want to experience roof trouble again. That’s why, before you can be certain you need roof repair in Thousand Oaks, CA, it’s helpful to know what to look out for in terms of damage. Here are just some of the most common problems you’re likely to encounter with your roof:
- Leaks: A leak is often a sign of serious trouble, particularly if you’re only noticing it because water is entering your living space. If it’s gotten to that point, there’s a chance you could be dealing with rotten wood, mold, damaged insulation and more.
- Ponding water: Any time you notice standing or “ponding” water on your rooftop, you should act right away. There might be debris built up on your roof, or serious drainage problems with your gutters or HVAC system.
- Shingle trouble: Missing or broken shingles are like invitations to rain, general moisture, small animals and bugs to come wreak havoc on your roof. Whether shingles were improperly installed in the first place or they’ve been damaged over time by the elements, shingle problems demand immediate attention.
- Flashing problems: Flashing, which is the material used to seal off any areas of your rooftop in which two surfaces meet—such as for chimneys, ventilation or skylights—can cause trouble if it was improperly installed or if it’s coming loose. Open seams allow moisture to get into your roof, and can even result in shingles or tiles coming loose.
- Punctures: Roofs can be punctured or penetrated by any number of things. Tree limbs are a frequent culprit, particularly in heavy storms, and even wind can lead to small penetrations, which have the possibility of turning into major problems if left undetected.
- Wear and tear: While roofs are meant to last a long time, expecting them to last forever can only lead to disappointment. Due to the beating they take from the elements, including wind, sunlight and precipitation, roofs can incur serious damage over the years. Keeping a regular eye on your roof can help you more easily notice problem areas as they start to develop.
When you think you might have a problem with your roof, it’s always a good idea to have a qualified contractor come out for an inspection, just to verify whether your roof needs work. Additionally, making an annual roof inspection a part of your home maintenance routine is never a bad idea, as this can be a helpful way of preventing problems before they develop.
At Conejo Valley Roofing, we specialize in repairs to all types of roofs, as well as new roof installation. For all of your new roof or roof repair needs in Thousand Oaks, CA, give us a call today!